Please Help

A fund has been set up through Paypal for Mark, Scarlet and the girls.

Go to http://www.paypal.com/. Login to your Paypal account, or just click on the send money tab. You don't have to have a Paypal account to donate.

Email account required to donate:
ourelectricpunk@gmail.com

If you have any questions or don't want to donate by Paypal, please email us at
ourelectricpunk@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for love, concern and prayers on their behalf.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Life Expectancy

Mark was really down the other day and was worried that because of the severity of his injuries that his life expectancy would be cut short and he wouldn't be able to see his chilren get married and enjoy his grandchildren. While it was a serious, heartfelt concern, I kind of laughed and told him that if the Lord really wanted him, He had the opportunity to take him and He CHOSE not to. I'm convinced that Mark will have a long life, as long as we do what is necessary to rehabilitate his brain. But it really got me thinking. So I asked the doctor what his research shows. He said:

"The general answer is that normal life expectancy occurs with TBI provided that post-traumatic epilepsy (PTE) does not develop. I anticipate that Mark will have a normal life expectancy given everything I’ve seen to this point and how rapidly he has stabilized medically. However, if PTE develops then a significantly shortened life expectancy may occur. PTE can become a very, very difficult condition to treat. There are several other factors that we should discuss, but it is best not to discuss these with the patient at this point in the patient’s recovery because we always want to the patient – Mark -- to be focused on the present and working on their therapies and not worrying about what could potentially occur. With the type of brain injury he has, especially with the temporal lobe damage, he has a significant increased risk for major depression and we need to closely watch for that. After age 60, there is a substantial increased risk of more rapid age-related declines in cognitive ability. These are things best for you and I to discuss at this point. Typically, I’ll do more educationally with the TBI patient after 2 years post-injury. One other thing – extremely important is to never let Mark engage in anything that puts him at risk for another head injury. Even a rather mild traumatic brain injury could have devastating effects and erase all of the gains he has made."

Wow. I am hopeful that the doctor thinks that he'll have a normal life expectancy due to his rapid recovery, but very discouraged that his cognitive abilities can diminish rapidly after age 60. I know that there isn't a history of dimentia or Alzheimer's in Mark's family. His grandparents have lived long lives. But I also know that PTE can develop at any time. I'm beginning to think that my life would be much less stressful if I just stuck my head in the sand. You know...Ignorance is Bliss! But I also know that Knowledge is Power...so I'll keep asking the important questions, and try not to worry about the unknown. Try not to worry about things I have no control over. Try not to worry...

I didn't share any of this information with Mark. He doesn't read the blog because we talk about it a lot and reading is difficult for him. I can see the "significant increased risk for major depression" setting in. I'd like to say that it's due to his inability to be the man he used to be, but now may have to give some of the credit to the brain injury itself. Not just the aftermath of it. He get's a Priesthood Blessing from our Bishop about once a week. He's really struggling. And I feel like all I can do it hug him, promise him that things will get better, and pray my heart out that they do. They have to.

Blessing of the Day: knowledge

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scarlett,
    My mom had TBI when I was 16, and she developed epilepsy. She is still alive and owns and operates her own business. The road to recovery is slow, and it requires patience, but Mark WILL get there.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete